[development] Certify Drupal for use in Government (US) Projects

Web Developer lapurd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:19:38 UTC 2008

If you think that oldest BugTraq "full disclosure" listing has a weak
logic behind, then you are mistaken (http://www.securityfocus.com).
BugTraq as well expose vulnerabilities that does not have solutions yet.
All what I have tried to explain that it does not mean that exploit
information has to be exposed. But detail description of the problem can
help on its own even before solution come out.
For me as for open source developer it is kind of natural to associate
limited disclosure or after solution disclosure with corporations like a
Microsoft and such but not with open source community.
Another good reason well explained on
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulnerability_(computer_science)>:
"Analysis and risk rating ensure the quality of the disclosed
information. The analysis must include enough details to allow a
concerned user of the software to assess his individual risk or take
immediate action to protect his assets."
Which is, btw, is very well mentioned in NIST Special Publication 800-51
"Use of the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) Vulnerability
Naming Scheme"
<http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-51/sp800-51.pdf>.

If Drupal security team made a decision to follow another path, its okay.
But you should not judge another people in this matter so quick.
Anyway, I have tried to be polite but since I have receive such a
suspicious in bad intentions and arrogant perception here (at least that
is what I feel now), I think I will standout for now in my true
intentions to help and let you enjoy status of "overworked and
understaffed" security team.

Alex