[development] Git-mirror of Drupal core now on Github

Sam Boyer drupal at samboyer.org
Sat Oct 11 16:50:04 UTC 2008

I'm assuming that your workflow looks something like this:

$ cd /path/to/local/git-cvsimport/of/drupal/core
$ git cvsimport -a
$ git push --mirror <remote ref name for your github repo>

Which will pull in all the recent changes from core, then push them out to
your github repo. If that's the case, git-cvsimport doesn't put much strain
on the servers, as it does its work by incrementally importing changesets. If
you were very concerned about server load, you could always run the
git-cvsimport off a copy of drupal cvs that you keep rsync'd locally, but I
suspect that the performance impact on drupal's cvs server would be
negligible in either case.

Of course, if we were talking contrib, that might be a little different... :)