[development] Announcing DRUPAL-7-0-UNSTABLE-2

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Sun Oct 12 22:05:39 UTC 2008

I just rolled the second in the series of Drupal 7 unstable releases for
developers (see
http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2008-October/031094.html
for more info). Among the highlights this release are:

* Several awesome File API improvements. Files are now "first-class
objects" like nodes and users are, the API has been dramatically cleaned
up for better consistency, AND there are a slew of new hooks like
hook_file_load() and hook_file_validate() for contrib modules to react
to when stuff happens to files. This is a great enabler for some awesome
stuff in core like image handling and document management. See
http://api.drupal.org/api/search/7/hook_file for more info. A HUGE
shout-out to Andrew Morton (drewish) for sticking with this patch
throughout its long, LONG development cycle. :)

* Also in additional hooks, hooks are now fired whenever modules are
installed, uninstalled, enabled, or disabled. See
http://api.drupal.org/api/search/7/hook_modules for more info. This
should pave the way for some nice DX patches in future unstable releases.

* In the DX clean-up realm, hook_user() and hook_nodeapi()'s $op
parameters are now gone. Instead of having to switch on $op and figure
out what in the world '$arg1' is in the 'load' context (UGH), you
instead implement hook_nodeapi_load(&$node, $teaser, $page) and know
exactly what you're dealing with.

* Permission names are now localizable, which gives permissions
human-friendly names in addition to descriptions. This changed the
hook_perm() array somewhat. See
http://drupal.org/node/224333#descriptions-permissions for more details.

* Better security! Drupal 7 is now caught up to Drupal 6 on security
patches. Now you can setup a Drupal 7 test site with far less pwnage! ;)

Incidentally, for those brave contrib module authors who want to chase
HEAD, the Updating Modules page is now broken down by unstable release
so you can make changes incrementally: http://drupal.org/node/224333.

One thing there is *not* in this release is a lot of major usability
enhancements. I'd really like to see this change over the next couple of
unstable releases. Drupal 7's API is shaping up nicely, and we're
getting tons of patches in that enable new things for our developers as
well as clean up silly crap that's been annoying us collectively for a
long time. But I'd like to get some focus on real "Wow-factor" things
for our end users, too... and sooner than later so we can test them
ahead of release and make sure they actually /do/ make things easier to
use. :)

The Usability team has identified 3 top usability issues to focus on at
http://groups.drupal.org/node/7074. If any of you out there have "make
Drupal 7 kick ass" as one of their todos, they would really appreciate
help on how to break down these major issues into smaller, actionable
items, and need some folks to write and test patches to get them
addressed. There are also a number of smaller, more bite-sized issues
that would be nice improvements, and new features that would make Drupal
easier to use.

http://groups.drupal.org/patch-spotlight is where this sort of "bubbling
up" of important issues is being organized.

Since UNSTABLE-1 was released on the 1st, and UNSTABLE-2 on the 12th,
let's shoot for UNSTABLE-3 to be towards the end of the month, hopefully
with some nice usability improvements in addition to more goodies for
developers.

Looking forward to reviewing and committing your patches! :)

-Angie