[development] hello from a newbie

Michael Favia michael at favias.org
Mon Oct 13 16:50:52 UTC 2008

Aldo Martinez Selleras wrote:
> this module whihc i'm creating is a gallery, i think with this may i use
> almost all drupal functions, i mean, database, menu, manage image, create the
> settings, user management, and the use of some hooks, that is the razon to
> select that project for my study.

Welcome to drupal. A relatively new and very popular choice for creating
online galleries is to combine a couple of popular existing modules like so:
Enable cck module and create a new content type. Enable Imagefield
module and imagecache module and create a new field on your new content
type. Enable Views modules and create a view that includes the desired
imagecache derivative in the desired format. You have tons of extra
options including adding things like "thickbox module" for ajax zooms,
or other "field formatters" for the cck imagefield. If youd like to
write your own module i might suggest writing an imagefield formatter
instead of rewriting everything from scratch. Druapl stands on the
shoulders of the people who wrote apache, php and mysql, the contrib
modules stand on the shoulders of drupal core and i highly recommend
augmenting existing functionality through our extensive system of hook
over reinventing the wheel for your desired functionality. -mf