[development] Announcing DRUPAL-7-0-UNSTABLE-2

Nathaniel Catchpole catch56 at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:26:30 UTC 2008

The idea wasn't to merge everything, but it's to only keep the most recent
version of any particular API.

For example, hook_nodeapi just got split up, there's a chance the $a3 and
$a4 arguments might get removed too. I don't see that having a single
'hook_nodeapi has changed' entry makes things any more confusing than having
two separate entries with somewhat conflicting information if it's a bit
different between two unstable versions.

Similarly when dbtng was first committed, people were encouraged to use ?
placeholders and :named placeholders interchangeably - we now only recommend
:named placeholders due to query logging - surely it's better to have a
single line on this than have the docs change all the way through. Same for
permissions arrays getting the extra 'title' index etc.

I can't think of many other things where a particular upgrade instruction
would have to change between one unstable release and another - so IMO it's
better to have one block of documentation in those (fairly rare) cases than
two contradictory and partial ones. Everything else would still be grouped
by unstable release. So far, the differences have all be pretty minor,  we
could always leave a note in the earlier documentation saying 'this change
was subsequently revised, see below and '#issue'.

Nat