[development] Unsetting form values on validate

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Tue Oct 21 04:29:29 UTC 2008

On 20-Oct-08, at 11:05 PM, Michael Prasuhn wrote:

> I am building a directory listing type site and trying to keep all
> my listings in one node type.

I'm curious as to why CCK with a bunch of optional fields doesn't work
for this. Could you not do a bit of custom PHP to validate fields
within CCK?

> One of the things I'd like to be able to do, is upon validation of
> the node, throw out any form values that do not match the type of
> listing they have chosen (so that the values won't be shown on the
> node preview, for example).

I don't think that's really the purpose of the validation hook.
Typically, you should throw errors with form_set_error() to indicate
why the data submitted is invalid. Even if you could make it work, I
would think you'd have some pretty confused users wondering where
their data went, thinking that the preview or the site was broken.

> What is the best way to go about this?

Perhaps presave, or prepare hooks could do it? But based on the
information you've given, I really think this is a solution for
multiple content types + CCK.

HTH,
--Andrew