[development] The static $perm variable in user_access (was: Has anything changed with module_invoke() recently?)

Ron Parker sysop at scbbs.com
Sat Oct 25 00:35:31 UTC 2008

I located the source of my problem. In the user_access() function, the static variable $perm is set to hold the permissions for a user.

Issuing this command: user_access('', NULL, TRUE); ( http://api.drupal.org/api/function/user_access/6 ) will unset the $perm variable and allow it to reset with the permissions from the most current roles. My debug code indicates that it contains the correct permissions from the roles of the $user object.

However, when I issue:

module_invoke($module, 'access', 'create', $type, $user);
which, in the case of $module = 'node_content' will itself call user_access($permission, $user) ,
the $perm value is now set (as it should be from my reset command), but no longer contains the all permissions from the roles in the $user object (what was originally set), but only the ones you would find for the user in the role table. Furthermore, I put debug code into user_access() to show me each time it is ran. I do not see it accessed between the time $perm is unset (by my reset command) and it is called by module_invoke().

The way this worked in 5.x:

hook_init() would issue user_access('', NULL, TRUE) which would unset the $perm variable so that the next time user_access() ran, it would rebuild $perm. In 6.x appears this no longer works in the same way.

So, it looks like either:

a. Another module (other than the user.module) is manipulating the $perm variable, or;
b. Drupal core is assuring, when module_invoke() is used, that the set $perm variable only contains roles that the user has in the roles table.

My question is this: Can the $perm variable be manipulated outside of the user.module? If not, then how is b. above accomplished?

Thanks for any assistance whatsoever!

-ron