[development] How to post bug reports and patches

Darren Oh darrenoh at sidepotsinternational.com
Thu Oct 30 15:07:10 UTC 2008

After chatting with greggles, I should make clear that I can guess why
core maintainers would do this because as a project maintainer I have
been guilty of exactly the same thing. There are four bottlenecks in
project maintenance:

1. People who complain outnumber people to read complaints.
2. People who read complaints outnumber people who provide patches.
3. People who provide patches outnumber people who review patches.
4. People who review patches outnumber people who commit patches.

This means a maintainer spends a lot of time sifting through issues
and trying to consolidate them to the few that are helpful. A
maintainer's frustration is that most users focus on bottleneck 4 when
the other three are just as important.