[development] How could everyone win and get Views in Drupal 8?

Darth Clue darthclue at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 22:22:47 UTC 2009

Cameron Eagans wrote:
> You put views in core and it is frozen. Nobody can do anything with it
> (as far as changing it: adding new features, reworking existing code,
> etc). As a contrib module, the Views maintainers can decide how they
> want to run the release process for Views, and I personally would like
> to keep it that way -- it allows for a LOT more flexibility and a much
> faster development lifecycle.
I agree.  This is the biggest drawback to putting things in core.  They
get stale really fast.  Until such time that core becomes less rigid I
don't see this as a good idea.
> Plus, core is already weighing in at around 9.5 MB. Adding another 4.5
> MB of code to maintain doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Not so much of an issue.  I'd like to see better install profiles such
that the big modules are downloaded along with core instead of having to
be downloaded alone.

Darthclue