[development] RE : Twitter is Suing me!!!

Domenic Santangelo domenic at workhabit.com
Wed Aug 12 17:23:06 UTC 2009

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I understood from the letter content that they are willing to work
> with Dean to transfer the domain to twitter.com.  They may even work a
> deal with you for the rights of your software.  Don't burn the bridge
> before you cross over it.  Find out what Twitter is willing to do.
> Get yourself a good lawyer.  They may even be willing to give you a
> contract to maintain the site with changes.
Noooo no, they meant for Dean to give up rights to mytwitterbutler.com
and transfer it to Twitter's ownership. They don't want to work anything
out except mytwitterbutler.com being gone. It's a pretty standard C&D.

For those of you who didn't go see what mytwitterbutler does, it's a
standalone Windows app that does two things:
1) Automatically follows people based on keyword, and
2) Send Direct Messages to everyone on your list, all at once.

I can think of a couple legitimate uses for this, but the spammy uses
far outweigh the legit ones in my head. Couple that with the following
instructions from the faq:
http://www.mytwitterbutler.com/FAQ.html

    How Do I Increase API Limits ? -

    You visit whitelisting request form basically if you indicate you
    are a developer and are "testing a rest api"  application they will
    approve your IP address to 20,000 calls per hour.

    DO NOT SAY YOU ARE USING TWITTER BUTLER - otherwise they wont
    approve your request.

Good on Twitter for combating spam applications, I say.

-D