[development] How could everyone win and get Views in Drupal 8?

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 03:49:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Earl Miles<merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
> Chris Johnson wrote:
>>
>> I'm kind of obsessive about having fast, lightweight core code so that
>> I can still build a very fast site without throwing lots of hardware
>> at it.
>
>>> tracker.module: Just a view.
>>> blog.module: Just a view.
>>> /node front page: Just a view.
>>> /rss.xml: Just a view.
>>> node content admin: Could be a view, with VBO.
>>> user admin: Could be a view, with VBO.
>>> recent comments block: Yep, a view.
>>> recent blog posts block: Yep, a view.
>>> active forum posts? Sho 'nuff.
>
> Out of curiousity, how many of those things do you use on your fast,
> lightweight sites?
>
> tracker.module: Not fast.
> blog.module: Does anybody *really* use this?
> node front page, river of news: The weight of 10+ node_load() calls vastly
> outweighs anything Views adds to this.
> admin pages: It's ok for them to be a little heavy.
>
> The blocks can be cached.

Darn fine argument.  :-)

Few of them, except node front page.  Tracker would be second most
common, probably, even though it's slow.  I'll have to admit I use the
blog module on my personal site.

Any side effects of having Views in core, e.g. loading code not used?
That's where my biggest concern would be now.