[development] Why I don't Upload a Module to Drupal

Sam Polenta sam.polenta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:57:22 UTC 2009

I have made a few custom modules for clients. Some of them maybe other
people would want. I would be happy to give them to whoever wants
them, BUT it's not necessarily so simple as that.

Mostly they have some customization for the particular site so I would
have to generalize them like with a settings page etc. Then I would
have to clean up the code a bit. Some would need an install and
uninstall routine which I didn't do because it's only for one site
anyway.

I would be happy even, in theory, to release them on drupal.org but
aside from the time to prepare them, which I don't really have, I also
don't have time to support them. So I figure even if I did fix it up a
bit and put it online, I am then expected to support it. I am not a
lazy person nor do I just suck the blood of everyone else who
contributes to Drupal without giving back. I do try to help people on
the forums a bit and the truth is that I help to "make the world a
better place" in other ways. I volunteer at a local NPO to help
people--when I sit down at the computer, it's mostly to work. I need
to make a living and this is how I do it.

So I don't think I'm a total pig--not at all really because I do
volunteer my time, but just for other causes aside from Drupal.

Do people think my reasons are wrong for not releasing my code? I
guess the main thing is that I'm not prepared to support any issues or
requests etc. that may come up.

Thanks.