[development] Why I don't Upload a Module to Drupal

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Aug 17 17:42:00 UTC 2009

Hi Sam.

Most sites have custom code that doesn't get released.  Generally I
would split it into 3 groups:

- Non-module site specific stuff (like custom form alters to tweak
something here or there).  There's really no way or reason to release this.

- Site-specific modules that are modules in their own right but really
not useful to anyone else.  These are also generally not worth releasing.

- New custom modules that have general applicability.  It's generally
good to release these, but not all of them do get released.

As far as support goes, the amount of time required varies widely.  If
it's a module that requires a lot of effort to support, you could always
get a co-maintainer to help with it.  If it's a module that you are
going to use on later client sites, you can arguably bill them for any
relevant time you spend enhancing or bug fixing the module.  (What
qualifies as "relevant" is between you and the client.)

Plus, having a few modules under your belt that you can refer to can be
good marketing for yourself and your services, as well as in raising
your Drupal ecosystem profile which can help in getting support later,
so you can look at it as an investment in your future business development.

I'd say it's worth your time to release modules that you think would be
generally useful on later projects that you develop.  That's a
reasonable gage of whether or not they're useful to others as well, and
worth the time to share.  Remember that you can also end up with free
features added by others, too, so it can save you time down the road.