[development] Why I don't Upload a Module to Drupal

Domenic Santangelo domenic at workhabit.com
Tue Aug 18 08:44:09 UTC 2009

It took me a minute to parse the language, but I think Fred is saying
he asked 3 people to kick in $50 each ($150 total) to write some code
for them and they weren't interested.

I agree that the foss model is overwhelming and confusing for many. I
think we are each of us passionate about Drupal, to varying degrees of
course, and our work generally falls into one of 2 categories: stuff
we are personally passionate about (usually ends up as contribs), and
work we get paid for. On many occasions, someones skill and passion
intersects with someone elses need, and they end up with what they
need for no cost. Often times this isn't the case. Probably preaching
to the choir here.

For me, an hourly rate is compensation primarily for using time which
could otherwise be spent on stuff I'm personally passionate about.

That is of course not to say that we as consultants aren't passionate
about paid work, usually just the opposite. Unless the pay is so
stellar that manufacturing passion is realistic (hey, it happens!), I
try to take paid gigs that align with my interests-I think that's best
for everyone.

Fwiw.