[development] Prioritizing for code freeze

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Thu Aug 20 15:11:18 UTC 2009

We have, at this moment, 223 "patches to review" issues, 1698 "patch
queue" issues, and 357 "critical issues" for D7, according to the
Contributor Links block on drupal.org. It's hard to figure out what to
focus on, given so many choices. So I'm thinking about priorities for
the upcoming code freeze (Sept 1, right?).

My understanding is that all new features for Drupal would need to be
patched, reviewed, and committed before the code freeze, or they would
be pushed back to Drupal 8. Those are easy to find, using the Category
field of the issue queue.

But my understanding is that also any API changes would need to be
patched, reviewed, and committed before the code freeze, and there
wasn't any obvious way I knew of to find them. So, I've introduced a
new issue tag, "API change", which will help identify those issues, if
people start marking their issues accordingly. Thoughts?

So am I way off base, or shouldn't we be focusing our patching and
review efforts on these areas between now and Sept 1, and leaving the
bug fixes (even "critical" bug fixes) for after the freeze? Is there
anything else that also cannot wait until after the code freeze?

    --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com