[development] New version control policies/system? (was: Consolidating duplicate contrib modules for D7)

Greg Knaddison Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue Dec 8 15:30:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Cameron Eagans <cweagans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ooo, huge +1 to both points (contrib free-for-all, and moving to something
> that's not CVS or Subversion). It would be a lot of work to get to that
> point, and would likely not be something that could happen for the Drupal 7
> release, but it sounds like a fair goal for Drupal 8!

I was going to lead this thread die. We had this back in ~2006. It was
kind of crazy. I don't think it makes sense to go back to it.

If someone is interested in following this practice for their own
module they can do so: simply add anyone to the list of maintainers
that asks for it. But let's not make a sitewide change without some
proof that it works well on a few specific projects first. My personal
sense is that when I see more than 3-4 maintainers on a project I get
concerned that it is probably not architecturally consistent and
likely poorly maintained (the "everyone thought it should be done,
anyone can do it, nobody did it" problem).

The Wikipedia entry on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space
doesn't seem exactly applicable (am I a pedestrian, bicyclist, or
urban planner in the analogy?) but another apt way to describe an
environment where anyone can do whatever they please is a "commons" as
in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Regards,
Greg

PS I ignored the whole "move away from cvs" part of this discussion
because that is well discussed and well documented at
http://groups.drupal.org/node/8102 - needs more testers and more code
first.

--
Greg Knaddison | 303-800-5623 | http://growingventuresolutions.com