[development] Remove top-level admin menu items

Jose A. Reyero drupal at reyero.net
Mon Feb 2 17:35:52 UTC 2009

I strongly disagree with this proposal because:

(And btw I'm the maintainer of Messaging and Notifications mentioned below)

1. For complex packages, scattered pages around the admin interface
really make it difficult for users to grasp the whole set of options
sometimes needed to set them up.

2. The 'per module' option is no replacement for some grouping as this
is a 'code oriented' concept but not a user friendly one at all. In this
case, Messaging & Notifications can be a dozen modules, this won't help
at all.

So, unless we have in D7 some 'Per package' tab for the admin UI, that
would make more sense from a usability perspective than the 'per module'
idea, I'm afraid these modules' admin UI will stay the same.

That said, I think guidelines are fine, so if you want to set up this
one as a guideline and find some consensus, ok. But enforcing guidelines
upon module maintainers, when they think they have a specific reason to
skip this one or this other guideline is bad (and mostly a waste of time).

So thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it, but really the reasons to
keep the admin menu as it is are stated on the issue, which I'm afraid
will stay as 'won't fix'... It is here, btw,
http://drupal.org/node/366489 (not that I want to spend more time on
this one)

Jose