[development] SQLite and Drupal 7 -- let's try this again

Stewart Robinson stewsnooze at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 08:11:42 UTC 2009

Why does it have to be SQLLite?  You are effectively proposing to split the
datastore.  Why hardcode it to SQLLite? Potentially I would put it in
another MySQL database on a different server or a pgsql db somewhere.  PDO
let's me do that.

In general I am against this idea. Drupal already, mainly because of MyISAM
on MYSQL I suppose, falls behind on fundamental good database design ideas;
like foreign keys for example. Splitting the data into two stores just does
more to reduce the referencial integrity and safe state of our data. Drupal
definitely doesn't achieve second normal form. I am not sure whether we
could argue it achieves first normal form.

In my opinion this is a non starter in hardcoding to SQLLite and a slow
starter even if you let people choose a second data store for certain
schemas/tables

Stew