[development] New "novice" issue tag

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon Feb 9 05:27:01 UTC 2009

If you ever come across an issue and you think to yourself, "Gee, it
sure would be nice to fix that, and it would probably only take me a
couple of minutes..." then please *don't* fix it -- instead tag it
with the issue tag "novice" so that it shows up at:

http://drupal.org/patch/novice (all "novice" issues across all projects)
and
http://drupal.org/patch/novice/core (all Drupal core "novice" issues)

Why?

* There are lots of eager people out there who want to contribute more
to Drupal and get started with patching, or with documentation, or
whatever. But you point them at an issue queue with 5,000+ active
issues and they get overwhelmed and don't know where to start. By
specifically identifying "novice" issues, we give them a nice short-
list of "low-hanging fruit" that they can use to get their feet wet.
* If you already know how to patch, we could use your smarts
elsewhere. Like, for example, mentoring the new contributors taking on
these patches. :) If you find yourself with 15 minutes you don't know
what else to do with, please find more novice patches rather than
solving these.
* New contributors are the perfect people to help us refine our
documentation so that it makes more sense to other new contributors.
So I'd love for there to be an army of folks in #drupal on-hand to
help people tackling novice issues get past the initial bumps in the
road, and helping to guide these folks toward doing documentation
improvements.

Those of you who've been on this list a long time might remember
previous attempts at this with the "patchnewbie" user (http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2007-October/026945.html
), but this is a much more workable way to identify easier issues
because anyone can add this tag.

So, please do! I'll make a blog post in a week or two once we start
getting this list fleshed out that will hopefully lead to some new
faces in the queues. :)

-Angie