[development] Announcing DRUPAL-7-0-UNSTABLE-5

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Wed Feb 18 04:22:24 UTC 2009

Helllooooo, devel list!

It's that time of the month again! (No, not THAT time of the month,
silly... the time when we roll an interim unstable release of Drupal 7
to keep people abreast of what's happening!)

Below are some of highlights from UNSTABLE-4 => UNSTABLE-5. For those
who like way too much information, I've also attached a copy of the
full output from cvs-release-notes.tpl.php showing all commits. http://drupal.org/node/224333#UNSTABLE-5
  has the details of contributed module developer-facing changes.

Note: Patch Spotlight has once again been "upgraded" and is now part
of the "Community Initiatives" handbook. I think I'm finally done
moving it around now. :P~ Please check out http://drupal.org/community-initiatives/drupal-core
  for important places to jump in, or to add your own itch that you're
interested in helping to scratch!

So, without further ado, here's a summary of what's been going on the
last month:

For developers:
===============
* The biggest news of course is we now have a fabulous Field API in
core! HOORAY! While there is still work to do, the initial patch and
several follow-ups went in, which allows fields to be attached to both
users and nodes. If you're interested in helping with this, please see http://drupal.org/node/361849
  for a "jump off" point.

* Another big, exciting development is hook_page_alter(). Page
callbacks now return drupal_render()able arrays, which modules can
then modify before they are output. Some crazy, exciting stuff can be
done here.

* Lots of documentation fixes/improvements: Thanks to the inclusion of
API documentation in core, and thanks in part to our new "Novice" tag (http://drupal.org/patch/novice
), we've had lots of undocumented hooks documented, unclear comments
clarified, and incorrect docs corrected. Please keep those patches
(and issues) coming!

* Comment and Taxonomy modules are now truly optional and can be
uninstalled. In more radical news, *Block* module has also been made
optional. OoOoOOo, scandalous. ;)

* Performance improvements, including adding the ability to disable
anonymous sessions to help with the Digg/Slashdot effect, mammoth
hook_form_alter()s have been broken up to use
hook_form_FORM_ID_alter() instead, and stopping
filter_xss_bad_protocol from being called hundreds of time on each
page. There is definitely still some work to do, but we're getting
there!

* Error handling has been improved. Core now uses E_ALL error
reporting by default (which helps ensure squeaky-clean code), and
changing its sensitivity can be done from a settings page instead of
by hacking common.inc. ;)

* Nedjo organized a great virtual internationalization sprint, which
resulted in fixing of several annoying bugs (locale uninstall being
broken, all languages being active in language switcher block) and
made important in-roads to more complex features that will hopefully
be part of a future unstable release.

For users:
==========
* Locale interface has been **dramatically** improved. It now behaves
a lot more like the watchdog or node content administration screens do.

* The vocabulary edit form has been also visually simplified by
removing a bunch of needless fieldsets and the "weight" field. Ahhh...

* Lots of textual improvements, too. For example, "Input formats" are
now "Text formats" which help better describe what they are for.

* There are snazzy new forum icons! Hooray!

* Administration theme has been moved from under site configuration
where NO ONE ever finds it, to the bottom of the themes page where
people actually might. ;)

Catch you next month, Drupalistas!

-Angie