[development] My first post: path_set_alias() and multiple aliases

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Sat Feb 21 16:58:10 UTC 2009

Short answer:
Yep don't count on the order of anything that doesn't have an order
by clause.

Longer answer just cause some seem interested:
Most DB's (mysql included) will return unordered expressions in the
order that they are retrieved, which sometimes equates to order of
insertion but not always.  All kinds of things can change that.
Indexes get use because of data in the where clause. Maintenance
activities in some databases will change the order of storage. Some
databases will reuse of deleted rows causing the order to be
different.  Some databases store multiple tables data in the same
file (oracle) and this can really get crazy when space gets reused.

The biggest real world example of this is that in one of my larger
databases, the order of things changed when we exported and re-
imported data (to facilitate a character set conversion), which
exposed a whole bunch of queries where the unfiltered list seemed to
be broken.  These were just queries that didn't have order by clauses
in the expression.  But I've seen query plans change in upgrades of
database software also.

So while it may seem to work, even across databases, you really
shouldn't count on it, not even within a database architecture.

Dave