[development] Object Caching in DRUPAL-7?

Josh Koenig josh at chapterthree.com
Sun Feb 22 18:54:44 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I'd like to take the community's temperature on developing a global object
caching strategy for drupal core 7.0. In effect, this would mean pulling the
functionality of advcache module into core, though the code would doubtless
be a bit different.

This has been previously discussed by Robert Douglass and Steve Rude, and I
think both the short-term and strategic value here is clear. As memcached
permeates the collective consciousness of the web-development community, and
as "cloud" computing becomes more and more prevalent, best practices in
architecture increasingly point towards caching full objects whenever
possible.

This also fits well with Drupal's existing architecture. There are great
functional points (e.g. node_load()) to mount this functionality.

I'm certain I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. Anyone want to
throw out their ideas?

cheers
-josh