[development] [off topic] schema-less data

Yuval Hager yuval at avramzon.net
Fri Feb 27 22:04:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

The following post discusses how FriendFeed uses MySQL in a schema-less data
model:  http://bret.appspot.com/entry/how-friendfeed-uses-mysql.

They report an improvement both on speed, stability and flexibility.

I find this very interesting, and actually quite troubling.
Does one really benefit from moving *away* from RDBMS's? My natural way of
thinking is totally different - whenever we can define the business logic in
relational terms, we should let the database do the heavylifting, and push
*more* logic onto it - cause that's what they do best.

I marked this as off topic, cause it's not really Drupal related, but I'm
curious about your insights about this approach.

We've had our bunch of off-topics in this and the consulting list for this
week, so my apologies if this is too much.

Cheers,

--
Yuval Hager
[@] yuval at avramzon.net