[development] [off topic] schema-less data

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Sat Feb 28 03:28:52 UTC 2009

Oh where oh where has my PostGres  gone?

Amazingly enough no mention of postgres.  Seemed, in reading this
discussion a battle of the extremes. So the truth is probably in the
middle.  They represent the false choice between MySQL and Oracle,
and I think there's a lot to be mentioned about the middle ground.
I'm frankly amazed that they never tried it.

It's clear that Drupal gets great benefit from caching serialized
structures and often doesn't do more than use the DB layer as a
filestore, that being said, I think this is a discussion of the
nature of the data.  They don't give a lot of discussion about what
it takes in IO to modify the middle of a JSON store.  Nor do they
talk much about analysis of data, (show me all the feeds that have
more than 600 common occurances).  Really from a cursory inspection
it sounds like the data needs for the product are pretty simple. It
says something if they think they can write their own indexes and be
faster than the RDBMS.  I'll leave it to you to decide as to wether
it says more about the developer or the RDBMS they are working with :).

MySql is great, but I don't think its ever been considered to be the
fastest RDBMS.  I think they probably could have done well to
consider just switching DB's.   But who knows, now that their not
using their RDBMS, maybe they'll remember that there's more than one
open source RDBMS out there.

Anyway, I'm not giving up my RDBMS any time soon.

Dave