[development] Field API! Review it, or forever hold your peace.

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Sun Jan 25 16:36:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 18:57 -0500, Barry Jaspan wrote:
> The Field API is going to *replace* CCK's database functionality in
> D7 and beyond.  If you think this might affect your Drupal-ish
> future, now would be a good time to review it and chime in with your
> opinion.  If you choose not to, don't come complaining to me
> later. :-)

Thanks very much for the heads-up on this. I am just starting my first
CCK-related project (today, coincidentally!), and this was perfect
timing. I will review this carefully and probably chime in with some
comments (possibly just "this looks fine as-is") later this week. :-)

> You can also try out the CCK UI, but you'll have to get it directly
> from CVS contrib.  Yes, this means that CCK will probably be ready on
> the day D7 is released.  Yay for that.

Does this mean that if I also build CCK functionality for D6 into my
project that there will be an automated update path for site admins to
the D7 version with functionality in core?

Given what you have said in your post, I will probably choose to develop
for D7 and back-port all or part of the functionality to D6.

Kind regards,

Scott

--
Syscrusher <syscrusher at 4th.com>