[development] Convince Client to Release Code

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Jul 13 10:33:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:40:11 +0300
Nir Aides <nir at winpdb.org> wrote:

> This is an interesting legal problem.
>
> According to the GPL, your work is derived from software covered
> by the GPL and therefore the client can not give you a copy of the
> source under any terms other than the GPL even if they own the
> copyright to the part of the work created by you.

> Now, you have a copy of the source (since you created it) by
> permission (which may be irrelevant) of the client.
> Therefore the copy you have is governed by the GPL and it is
> illegal of the client to prevent you from distributing it under
> the GPL.

I think it depends on the terms of the contract.

eg. if I am an employ of XYZ, I'm "exposed" to a GPL program and the
holder of the copyright is XYZ I still may not distribute it.

I think this is the case with modified Apache/MySQL at Google.
They don't "leak out".

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it