[development] Convince Client to Release Code

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Mon Jul 13 14:43:09 UTC 2009

On 13-Jul-09, at 8:10 AM, Jamie Holly wrote:

> and that contract stipulates if I can or can not release any of the
> work. If they don't want me to then the hourly rate also is higher.

I've also found this to work really well. I typically phrase it as a
"community participation" discount off of the regular rate if they
allow contributions. I've yet to have a client decline that option,
though I've not worked with clients who's primary business is the web.

Depending on the module and the size of the project, the potential for
security reviews is often a benefit which I promote to clients.
Regardless of competitive rationale, having your website hacked can be
a more immediate (and costly) concern.

I always stipulate that patches to existing modules, themes, core or
other FOSS code can be contributed back. I've never had an objection
to this.

Good luck!
--Andrew