[development] Files table includes file_directory_path

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Jul 20 05:11:05 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009 2:44:30 pm Clemens Tolboom wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:18 -0500, larry at garfieldtech.com wrote:
> > sites.php was actually added specifically for this sort of issue,
> > because the sites/ directory structure was too brittle.
> >
> > Of course, for the files directories in particular I have long since
> > dropped using sites/<sitename>/files in favor of files/<sitekey>, which
> > sidesteps the issue entirely.  That doesn't need to change no matter
> > what server the site moves to.
>
> What is your sitekey structure in case of a multi-site environement and
> what when doing a staging scenario ie move production to a demo of
> regression environment?
>
> (With D5 multisite I moved from the files/<sitename> to
> sites/<sitename>/files to get rid of painfull all at once D5 updates.)

Anything recognizable to me will work.  For example, on a D5 multi-site for a
Chicago Pre-School program (http://www.virtualk.org/ and
http://www.virtualpre-k.org) we used "vk" and "vpk" subdirectories.  On
another install where we're rolling out 40-50 micro sites all as third-level
or fourth-level domains, we just use that part of the domain.  (So
foo.example.com and bar.example.com become files/foo and files/bar.)

Drupal doesn't care what your files directory is or if it maps to a domain
name; it just cares that you don't change it part-way through the site's life
time.  That's when stuff gets weird.

--
Larry Garfield
larry at garfieldtech.com