[development] PHP standards?

Josh Koenig josh at chapterthree.com
Tue Jun 16 23:53:53 UTC 2009

Catching up on the threads there, I just want to give a shout-out of
thanks to Larry for representing Drupal in excellent style. In
particular, the summary of events here:

http://news.php.net/php.standards/66

Felt like the best of Drupal: lighthearted and kind of humorous, but
open and honestly looking to help.

I've found it really interesting reading through the responses on the
list, and I think it speaks very well for the capacity of an active
open-source community (like us!) to develop social/cultural capital
among its members. Learning to tolerate disagreement and create
consensus is no small thing, and it makes us vastly more capable as
individuals and as a community.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of standards and patterns also, and hopefully
given the way this initial effort played out, there will be a more
mature and democratic conversation which can really foster more
cross-project harmony.

cheers
-josh