[development] Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Matt Chapman Matt at NinjitsuWeb.com
Wed Mar 4 22:06:21 UTC 2009

Michael Favia wrote:
> Thank you for echoing my concerns exactly. This is a key tenet of the
> success of opensource. Unfortunately, i think that any attempt to
> define specific modules or even specific use cases (profiles) will
> fail in a similar fashion because the same argument applies to the use
> cases as each new version changes the capabilities of our platform and
> makes it more apt to various tasks and less apt to others.
Not if the selected profiles are based on popularity, and fluctuate
accordingly. I.e., when the first alpha of a new Core appears, we check
and see what the most used profiles are, and then the maintainers of
those profiles are called upon to see to it that the functionality
provided by their profiles is available at release time, or to bring on
co-maintainers who can do so.

This way, Drupal's version changes are kept in line with they ways in
which Drupal is actually being used. If a change prevents a major use
case, I'd say we've got a serious problem. If a change breaks a major
module, that's worth consideration, but in the end, it's just the nature
of the moving drop.

Matt
NinjitsuWeb.com