[development] Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:10:46 UTC 2009

Rather than venture any opinion at this point on what to do about
selecting the date when Drupal 7 is "ready" I want to inject this, I
think, factual[1] data point:

The time it will take to update modules from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 will
be on average _longer_ than it took to update modules from Drupal 5 to
Drupal 6.

Because of some major rewrites of important modules like Views for
Drupal 6, those modules may well updated sooner.  But the API changes
are vast in Drupal 7.  Be aware and forewarned so as to consider the
release date question with the proper perspective.

--
..chris

[1] No, I do not have hard metrics to prove this assertion.  I do feel
very confident in my statement, having been involved in a project
which updated or helped update roughly a hundred modules to D6.  If
there is any disagreement on the point, I hope we can discuss it in
another thread so as to not sidetrack this one.