[development] Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Wed Mar 4 22:50:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Aaron Winborn <winborn at advomatic.com> wrote:
> I'm concerned about the sentiment in Dries' declaration of Drupal 7 will be released when it's ready. I know this has been hashed out before, for instance back in September with Disparity of Versions: Towards Creating a Sustainable Solution to the Disparity between Drupal Core and Contributed Modules (http://drupal.org/node/311893) (which was itself an eloquent continuation of a long-standing discussion).

Dries did not say anything about D7 that should cause concern. He just
said "when it is ready" and we can all discuss what that means. You
are assuming it excludes Contrib. But even more productive IMO would
be to discuss what we can do to help modules upgrade quickly. Lets not
even get into the reasons why D6 Contrib adoption was slow. What
documentation is needed beyond the upgrade page (screencasts,
coder/deadwood, .webinars, ...). Can we provide testing infrastructure
for contrib modules? Could we focus the issue queue so issues about
upgrading are more easily handled?