[development] Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Anselm anselm_list at netuxo.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 12:32:47 UTC 2009

There's a few contributors who are really into the Drupal project, but I would
guess most contributors don't upgrade their modules until they have to. Until
there's a D7 release, there will be no need for people to upgrade their
modules, and so they won't.

I know because that's what I do. I need a functionality that doesn't exist, I
write the module for it, and then I contribute it back for other people who
might want it. I will apply patches sent to me (and give other people CVS
access), but beyond that I won't develop the module further as long as it
does what I want. That means I won't port it to D7 until I need it on a D7
site ; and that won't happen until D7 is out.

This is not an uncommon thing in the floss world ; KDE 4.0 comes to mind as a
good example.