[development] Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Paolo Mainardi paolomainardi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 23:29:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter <
gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Paolo Mainardi schrieb:
> > On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter <
> > gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> that
> >> is
> >> I take it you are new to Drupal development?
> >>

> > Yes, i don't have contribute never to Drupal core, but i work on drupal
> > development from a lot of time, and i've released some contribution, but
> > this is not the point.
>

> Maybe not.
>

> >> We get this suggestion every time a similar discussion comes up.
> >> Luckily, every time the anser is: No.
> >

> > Sorry but i don't understand, why "luckily" the answer every time is no ?
>
> Because the bright people that develop Drupal have recignized that it is
> futile.

> >> Pretty much, yes. A full compatibility layer would like affect
> >> performance big time and a less intrusive version is probably not worth
> >> anybody's time to write.
> >

> > But D7 not will be a less intrusive version, this is the point.
> >

> "less intrusive version" was referring to the compatibility layer, not
> Drupal.
>
> Basically, we've had similar discussions for Drupal 4.7, 5, and 6 and
> all were hailed as the end of Drupal as we know it because nobody would
> be able to update their modules in time, etc yadayada. We probably have
> had this discussions for even earlier versions but luckily I've managed
> to forget them.
>
> Executive summary: Compatibility layer == bad.

I agree, but it's bat too rewrite from scratch every time a lot of code,
like Views or CCK or Panels.

Could be nicer have at least a stable API or a *drupalX-compat" plugin with
older API, but bright people surely know this things better of me :)

P.

--
Paolo Mainardi

Vice Presidente Assoc.ILDN (http://www.ildn.net)