[development] Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Wed Mar 4 23:23:30 UTC 2009

Paolo Mainardi schrieb:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter <
> gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

>> Paolo Mainardi schrieb:
>>>>
>>> I agree, but we must think to a soft of "compatibility API", i think that
>> is
>>> impossible to rewrite the world to every new Drupal release.
>> I take it you are new to Drupal development?
>>

> Yes, i don't have contribute never to Drupal core, but i work on drupal
> development from a lot of time, and i've released some contribution, but
> this is not the point.

Maybe not.

>> We get this suggestion every time a similar discussion comes up.
>> Luckily, every time the anser is: No.
>

> Sorry but i don't understand, why "luckily" the answer every time is no ?

Because the bright people that develop Drupal have recignized that it is
futile.

>> Pretty much, yes. A full compatibility layer would like affect
>> performance big time and a less intrusive version is probably not worth
>> anybody's time to write.
>

> But D7 not will be a less intrusive version, this is the point.

"less intrusive version" was referring to the compatibility layer, not
Drupal.

Basically, we've had similar discussions for Drupal 4.7, 5, and 6 and
all were hailed as the end of Drupal as we know it because nobody would
be able to update their modules in time, etc yadayada. We probably have
had this discussions for even earlier versions but luckily I've managed
to forget them.

Executive summary: Compatibility layer == bad.

Cheers,
	Gerhard