[development] How to port modules? was: Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Paolo Mainardi paolomainardi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:41:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Matt Farina <matt at mattfarina.com> wrote:

> On the documentation side of updating there is http://drupal.org/update.
> If you are talking about modules see http://drupal.org/update/modules.
>
> Also note that, a number of module maintainers (for widely used projects)
> have openly said they would like to release versions of their modules when
> drupal 7 is released.

Indeed, the contrary, I believe that it is stable API that can make a
valuable in enterprise environments. (SDL, DirectX, Carbon, Cocoa etc ...).

We should begin to put these arguments on the table, backward and 'a subject
that will' sooner or later be addressed.

> Dries, also, said that releasing drupal 6 without drupal.org being updated
> to it was a mistake he doesn't want to see happen again.

Why it's happen ? Because big missing, "Views, OG, Panels etc...etc...",
because backward compatibility API doesn't exists.

Could be possible have a more abstract API on top of new features,
decoupling the implementation from the interface.

P.

--
Paolo Mainardi

Vice Presidente Assoc.ILDN (http://www.ildn.net)