[development] How to clear database after a regular interval
Daniel F. Kudwien
news at unleashedmind.com
Sat Mar 7 19:40:10 UTC 2009
> Re-installing the entire site would be tricky to do via a
> module inside the site itself ("cutting off the branch you're
> sitting on"). In that case, you would be better served by a
> batch script started by a separate cron-job outside the Drupal site.
This is exactly what Demo module (http://drupal.org/project/demo) does.
1) Install the module.
2) Create a snapshot of your clean demo site.
3) Configure the reset interval and setup cron (see http://drupal.org/cron).
- and/or -
Enable the "Reset site" block, which allows users to reset the site manually.
Demo module is also a great way to
- take arbitrary snapshots during site building and development (for testing potential modules to install, re-configuration, automated processes, data imports, safety backups before running update.php, etc) or
- test module update paths (from 6.x-1.x to 6.x-2.x) or
- even test entire upgrade paths (5.x to 6.x).
Rob Loach even went ahead and created a Demo installation profile (http://drupal.org/project/demo_profile), which may be an alternative to regular installation profiles in certain use-cases.
More information about the development