[development] D7 contrib module development

Domenic Santangelo domenic at workhabit.com
Sun Mar 8 18:09:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Stella Power <stella at stellapower.net> wrote:

>>   However, in the end, you get what you pay for!
>
> Well, Drupal is free and you don't pay for it. :)

One of the things that surprised me when I started working with Drupal
is the breadth of functionality that's left out of core. No automatic
path aliasing? No subscribing to a post? Wait, I can't add more fields
to my content types??? For a "Content Management System", Drupal core
is _severely_ lacking in features.

The logical end is that modules now have inflated importance to
Drupal, because you (basically) can't do jack without at least some of
them. This creates an odd disparity: the concept of "modules" refers
to both one-off, unimportant, unfinished modules, AND to
cck/views/pathauto, three modules you basically can't build a site
without.

-D