[development] D7 contrib module development

Tao Starbow starbow at citris-uc.org
Mon Mar 9 17:16:20 UTC 2009

I think Khalid is exactly right here.  The low barrier to entry is one
of the non-obvious secrets to Drupal's success.  It helps sucks new
people in, gets them connected to the community, and we all benefit as
their skills and contributions grow.

Clay Shirky's book, "Here comes everybody" is all about the fundamental
change that the internet is sparking: the change from
create-filter-publish, to create-publish-filter.  It can seem like a
small change, but it is unleashing a huge wave of energy and creativity
into the world.  And Drupal is benefiting from that wave, every bit as
much more obvious projects, like Wikipedia or Flickr.

Of course, drupal.org has been a little weak in terms of tools for
harnessing the power of the group mind in filtering after publishing,
and it can be frustrating trying to separating the wheat from the chaff
on your own.  Currently drupalmodules.com is the best place for viewing
and contributing to the collective wisdom about existing modules, but
http://drupal.org/project/usage is also a big step forward, and the
drupal.org redesign will move the ball forward even more.

I would say that anyone that feel passionately about this subject should
get involved with the drupal.org redesign, and start contributing there,
either with time and expertise, or with funding.

cheers,
-tao