[development] Wasting time and effort

Greg Holsclaw greg at t2media.com
Tue Mar 10 01:39:31 UTC 2009

In some good Web2.0 books like Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing
Without Organizations (by Clay Shirky, with some open source books also to
his name) and others, the concept of Publish then Filter is a main tenant of
Open Source and general Internet publishing in general. The old days of
print media where 'the professionals' had to filter because all the day's
info just couldn't fit into the printed pages of a newspaper are gone.

The whole idea of open source is someone started doing something and put it
out there for people to look at.

The main point now is the 'Filter' and publication. Discovering good modules
is hard, which is why findability is part of the Drupal.org redesign. I
think the effort should be there. Let download counts, peer review and
recommendation lists be the filter, not a review prior to publishing a new
project.

Publish then Filter, not the other way around.

-Greg