[development] Duplicated modules

arthur arthur at 24b6.net
Wed Mar 11 13:47:04 UTC 2009

 From my perspective, one of the reasons why the question of
duplication has been an issue lately is that the community of
developers has grown dramatically in the last few years. For many of
us, when we started working with drupal we basically knew every module
that was in the CVS repo- I'm not sure this is even possible anymore.

I think that the question of duplication is maybe the wrong question-
for me, I'd like to frame things more in the vein of "how do we help
contrib modules have better apis, larger support base, and better
functionality?". The Drupal Tough Love project I think is one aspect
to how we do this- strong peer review can be a really good foundation
to build upon. Secondly, I think we've seen groups of developers
gathering around specific functionality  which has created at team
people helping push contrib code toward core. I would like to see this
model expanded- not specifically to push code toward core, but to
address areas of functionality that need more coordination.

For example, myself, Aaron Winborn, Alex UA, Darrell O'Pry, Roger
Lopez,  Drewish, Travist and a number of other folks have started a
very active conversation of how to address the issue of rich media in
drupal as a whole. While each of us maintains multiple projects, some
of which very much duplicate aspects of one another's work, we are
attempting to create a common set of tools which will enrich all of
our projects.

We know there are going to be edge cases and duplication of effort
here and there- this is completely fine- the point of our work,
however, is to provide a common tool kit for developers who want to
build off of the joint work and have better integration with the
common code and each other's projects. We are actively trying to get
as many developers on board with this project so that people who are
currently doing work can plan for this functionality as well as help
direct the project.

For me, I don't want to tell people what to do or how to work. I do
however, want to help provide the tools and community that can help
people develop high quality work that benefits the entire drupal
community.

arthur at 24b6.net