[development] Best place to store user data

Steve Yelvington steve at yelvington.com
Mon Mar 16 23:44:14 UTC 2009

Awhile back I wrote a simple module to fetch my Facebook status line,
using an open RSS feed, and make a block to display on my blog. The
fetched data is stored in cache for a limited period.
http://drupal.org/project/fbstatus

I've received a number of requests to upgrade the module to support
multi-user scenarios. In such a case, cache obviously isn't the right
place to put the data.

But since there should be no more than  one Facebook account per user,
it seemed that creating a table (as seen in the Twitter module) would be
overkill.

So I began looking at using profile fields (requiring profile.module) or
the serialized user data.

But I'm likely to move the updates into hook_cron, and I can imagine a
large site having to step through the whole user base, looking for
statuses needing updates.

So now I'm back at a discrete table.

Is my thinking right?