[development] Announcing DRUPAL-7-0-UNSTABLE-6

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Mar 20 12:13:35 UTC 2009

>> - The new database system (DBTNG) now supports pager and tablesort
>> queries via "extenders," which means that we can now work on
>> converting pretty much all of Drupal core queries to DBTNG. Feel
>> free to pick off an issue from http://drupal.org/project/issues/3060/term/131
>>  if you'd like to get a head start on learning this essential part
>> of Drupal.
>
> Can these extenders be used to make pagers that *DON'T* do a pager
> query, but just go to the next chunk until there isn't any? The reason
> I ask is that the current pager system barfs with millions of nodes.
> Queries like "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM node WHERE status = 1 AND promoted
> = 1" take enormous amounts of time to execute with millions of nodes,
> but are a part of every q=node front page. There are other examples.

I've a pet peeve annoyance on pagers too: can they work without database
queries yet? ;) About a dozen times over the years, I've had a need to
use pagers, but couldn't becauase it wasn't a single query (or, worse,
it was the result of a hook call, where there was no database activity
going on at all...)

--
Morbus Iff ( there is no morbus, there is only zuul! )
Enjoy: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.videounderbelly.com/