[development] should I alter the sessions table?

Domenic Santangelo domenic at workhabit.com
Tue Mar 31 19:05:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:47 AM, David Cohen <drupal at dave-cohen.com> wrote:

> Is there a performance drawback to
> this?

Probably not a perceptible one - table scans will walk the length of a
varchar, so you'll be walking some 256-length entries when there are
Facebook sessions active... not really a big deal imo.

> Is it bad form to alter the table this way?

That might be the sticking point. I can see some problems arising quickly
from letting modules alter core tables:
-FB Connect sets sid to varchar(256)
-Foo.module, installed later, sets sid to varchar(128)
Now FB Connect doesn't work.

Quick alternate ideas that come to mind:
-Setting a PHP session instead
-Making a mapping table of FB sid -> drupal sid
-Doing what you're considering, but instead storing the FB sids as md5
hashes in the sessions table to keep the varchar(64) constraint
-Some combination of these

-D