[development] Database / SQL future thoughts

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Tue May 5 22:00:03 UTC 2009

Bertrand Mansion wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
>> Bertrand Mansion wrote:
>>> Actually, "views" are inside the database:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Introduction_to_CouchDB_views
>>> For example, the Views module would create views in the database
>>> directly, instead of storing SQL queries in a table and executing them
>>> later. That's more logical.
>> That's only more logical if you don't actually know what Views does. Views
>> SQL is not generated ahead of time and then just run on demand, it is
>> created as needed based upon the data available. Quite an amount of that
>> data can change at runtime.
>
> Yes, it is more logical to have views inside the database, because it
> is a database feature, than to store chunks of SQL and serialized PHP
> in a database table... I guess you haven't thought about what you
> posted before you posted it.

Let's see. As the author of Views, I would say I am the supreme
authority on what it does. Your response indicates you believe I am
wrong, and that by stating you are NOT the supreme authority on what the
Views module does, and in fact appear to now understand what Views
really does, I am being insulting.

Please let me quote:

You:
 > ...instead of storing SQL queries...

Me:
 > ...Views SQL is not generated ahead of time and then just run on
demand, it is created as needed...

You:
 > ...than to store chunks of SQL...in a database table...
 > ...I guess you haven't thought about what you posted before you
posted it...

Perhaps you misunderstand what 'not generated ahead of time' means, or
'created as needed'. It certainly does NOT mean 'stores chunks of SQL'
in the database.

Please tell me how I can construe this as ANYTHING other than "You don't
actually know what Views does."

If I am being insulting with this, it is only because you are presuming.
  When your presumptions are corrected, you get offended. Please, 1)
stop presuming, 2) stop being offended.

And above all, this did not belong in my personal mailbox. For that, I
do feel free to be offensive: If you feel I have offended you on a
public list, suck it.