[development] Issue queue links from project pages?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 7 18:23:29 UTC 2009

Quoting Michael Favia <michael at favias.org>:

> Derek Wright wrote:
>> However, the point of the maintainers block isn't necessarily to
>> provide links people click on, but text people read.  And data
>> about how many maintainers, who they are, and how active they are
>> is important information for assessing the health of a project.
> Project statistics are useful  to us but most users dont care about
> them. Additionally, the only time I look up project maintainers is
> when I initially review a module for usefulness and when I have a
> nontrivial patch to submit and would like direction on its
> implementation for acceptance. Any other highlighting of the
> maintainers on the project page will just result in additional
> private messaging before submitting issues in my opinion. I don't
> know anyone who wants that ;). That said it IS very important to
> highlight the great work and who's doing it. But i think that is
> better done on the users page where it wont get them the bad kind of
> attention and they can still show prospective clients employers. -mf

The block can have the benefit of goading the maintainer into
maintaining it.  Prestige points for a small issue queue.  One problem
I see is the "Oldest issue" instead of the "Oldest bug report" and
"Oldest support request".  The age of a task or a feature request
shouldn't be viewed negatively.  An issue could be used simply to
track other issues or could be used to provide notes to remember and
these could be old by nature.

--
Earnie
-- http://r-feed.com/           -- http://for-my-kids.com/