[development] Status update: WYSIWYG support in Drupal core

Kathleen Murtagh kathleen at ceardach.com
Sun May 24 14:27:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Ryan Cross <drupal at ryancross.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Walt Daniels <wdlists at optonline.net>
> wrote:
> > My sentiments, exactly! If the users can't use it without problems they
> will
> > leave you site for one that is more user friendly. Without problems means
> > whatever ugly hacks under the covers are needed to really strip Word
> junk.
> > They don't understand the need to use paste from Word (in tinyMCE) and it
> > gets it wrong fairly often.
>
> Do you know of any other site or WYSIWYG editor that handles M$ word
> better than what's available?

My team just recently had to solve this problem.  We created a new plugin
based on TinyMCE's "Paste from Word" button that automatically runs based on
an algorithm that detects if a user has pasted.

It's not perfect, because for instance it strips all styles from any HTML
(so no right or center text alignment).  However, for a limited input
format, its appears to have solved the problem we have.  It even works with
Image Assist.  We no longer get complaints, the editor really is displaying
what they'll get, and all the font formatting is consistent across the site.

Obviously, we need to bundle it up and provide it back to the community.
We'll be working on those tasks after the site's release.  However, you can
still access it off the SCF github repository if you're interested:

http://github.com/benjamin-agaric/scf/tree/90aa5f4114bd468122c6a6b833d314b219600869/modules/custom/cleanword

(It may be out of date.  We fixed some critical bugs about two weeks ago)