[development] Status update: WYSIWYG support in Drupal core

Bryan Ruby bryan at cmsreport.com
Sun May 24 18:29:33 UTC 2009

Ryan Cross wrote:
> Do you know of any other site or WYSIWYG editor that handles M$ word
> better than what's available?
>
> I don't think there is one, otherwise I'm sure it would be quite
> popular. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though. I just don't want
> people chasing a mythical "perfect" wysiwyg editor.
I've found that a number of WYSIWYG editors work much better in Internet
Explorer than say Firefox when doing a copy/paste from MS Word (2007).
Don't ask me why, it's just an observation.

There is and never shall be a perfect rich text editor, but that
shouldn't be a reason for not implementing a WYSIWYG editor.  In fact I
don't know a single Drupal core module that is perfect but it hasn't
stopped us from loving Drupal.  I believe the original point of this
thread was not a discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of an
RTE. Instead, the discussion is how best do we move forward in
implementing WYSIWYG in Drupal.

On a side note, I'm a huge fan of the WYSIWYG API (
http://drupal.org/project/wysiwyg ).  Bravo to this project and others
in recently moving the third party code over to "|sites/all/libraries/"
|it should make future Drupal upgrades much easier to manage.

Bryan