[development] Status update: WYSIWYG support in Drupal core

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sun May 24 20:12:49 UTC 2009

> On a side note, I'm a huge fan of the WYSIWYG API (
> http://drupal.org/project/wysiwyg ).  Bravo to this project and others
> in recently moving the third party code over to
> "|sites/all/libraries/" |it should make future Drupal upgrades much
> easier to manage.

Second the kudos for the WYSIWYG API -- it's also worth noting that when
using both Tiny and FCK, the WYSIWYG API offers an option to have the
default paste clean up formatting. This simplifies things for the end user.

This, in combination with the work on Filefield inserts, actually makes
for a WYSIWYG experience that approaches something that will satisfy end
users without horrifying developers.

And, fwiw, I am no fan of text editors. But I am a fan of meeting client
expectations. The WYSIWYG API offers the hope that these will not always
be mutually exclusive attitudes.

Cheers,

Bill

--