[development] Status update: WYSIWYG support in Drupal core

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Mon May 25 00:12:53 UTC 2009

If we were here to satisfy clients with core then all the core files
would be writeable by Apache so you can just update them from a
browser. We do not do that. However, we DO recognize the need for that
and I have spec'd out somewhat Plugin Manager which Joshua Rogers has
written as a GSoC project last summer and is now headed for core.
http://drupal.org/node/395472 have you reviewed it?

In a similar vein, if we were to satisfy clients who (to quote
webchick) think a patch is something you sew on a jacket, we would
have TinyMCE or some horror in core already. Instead, NOONE paid
attention to Stefan Negtaal who pointed an editor that COULD be a core
candidate and instead yelped about Word copy-paste. Word is a
proprietary product and I be damned if we deliver a crap product
because of something that's not even open source. This does not mean
we do not want to lower barriers -- for example, one of the design
goals for DBTNG was to enable MS SQL and Oracle support. Have you seen
that Andrea wrote an Oracle driver? http://drupal.org/project/oracle
Did you help him? That's soemething a lot of clients want and I *bet*
it wont pass the tests 100% right now.

To sum up my angry rant which was trigerred by the word "client":

*) I am very much in favor of enabling techniques. The first is in
http://drupal.org/node/125315 note the people working on it. I have
not seen many people bleating in here helping there. Further patches
will find me helping, too.
*) I will fight very hard against a WYSIWYG editor in core.
*) I will help as much as I can without significant JS skills adding a
markup editor with live preview. Steef's a strong a candidate.

Regards

NK